Finely grated zest of 3 lemons
6 tbsp lemon juice
100g golden caster sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 tbsp gelatine
150ml double cream
Fresh lavender, to decorate (optional)
1. Put the grated lemon zest, lemon juice, caster sugar and egg yolks together in a bowl. Whisk together until the mixture is pale and frothy.
2. Pour 3 tbsp cold water into a heatproof cup and sprinkle in the gelatine. Stand the cup in a bowl of boiling water and stir to dissolve (or microwave on a high power setting for 30 seconds). Cool for a couple of minutes.
3. Whisk the cream until it’s just thickened, but still light and floppy. Clean and dry the beaters, then whisk the egg whites until stiff.
4. Pour some of the egg yolk, lemon and sugar mixture into the gelatine liquid, then pour back into the original large bowl. Whisk together again.
5. Fold the whipped cream into the mixture, followed by the whisked egg whites, a little at a time. Pour into 4-6 cups or ramekins – don’t worry if they’re different sizes. Chill for at least a couple of hours. Decorate with a sprig of fresh lavender.